Doctor

Patients Rescued in Hospital Fire Mishap

Thrissur: Patients of a private hospital here were evacuated safely after a fire broke out in the hospital in the wee hours of Friday.

The fire erupted from a room on the first floor of Sun Medical and Research Centre in Thrissur.

Old computers and other electronic equipment were kept in the room. When smoke billowed from the room, there was panic and the fire spread to other rooms and wards.

Police and fire force rushed to the spot and rescued around 130 patients, including those on life support, with the help of nurses and volunteers. The rescue operation lasted till 4am. Later the fire was brought under control.

Initial investigation suggests that the flames erupted due to a short circuit. An investigation is going on into the incident, police said.