Jelly

Four-Year-Old Boy Dies of Food Poisoning, Mom Critical

Kozhikode: A four-year-old boy died after eating a jelly sweet (jelly mittai) here today. According to the boy’s  relatives, Yousaf Ali, son of Basheer from Kappad at Koilandy, died owing to food poisoning from the sweet.

The boy’s mother, Suharabi, who also ate the sweet, has been admitted to Medical College Hospital, Kozhikode. Her condition is said to be serious.

According to reports, they bought the jelly sweet from Royal bakery near the mofussil bus terminus here. After eating it, both of them had vomiting and loose motion at night. Due to dehydration, they were admitted to the Medical College on Friday. But by night, Yousuf died.

Following a complaint from the relatives of the boy, health department of the corporation and Kasaba police raided the bakery and shut it. They also seized the remaining jelly sweet from the bakery.

Police said that the jelly sweets have sent for scientific analysis and the reason for the child’s death could be ascertained only after getting the post-mortem report.

The boy had eaten the sweet named Tiger Hycount Jelly. It is produced by National Confectionary at Gopalan Nagar, Madurai. According to the manufacturing date, it was packed on March 25 and can be used till next two months.