New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today said there was no report of any Indian casualty in the Barcelona terror attack.
She said in a tweet that she was in constant touch with the Indian Embassy. She also tweeted an emergency number (+34-608769335) of the embassy for the help of Indian nationals.
At least 13 people were killed and over 50 injured when a man ran a heavy van through a group of people today.
Spanish policeman shot dead five suspected terrorists in the coastal town of Cambrils, southwest of Barcelona, after they drove over pedestrians as part of what appeared to be a second terror attack.
Some of the suspects, who were travelling in an Audi A3, were wearing what appeared to be explosive belts in a rampage that took place hours after a van had mowed down shoppers and tourists in Barcelona’s famous Las Ramblas district, killing 13 and wounding about 100.
Friday’s attack in Cambrils, in which six bystanders and a policeman were also wounded, came at the end of 24 hours of shocking violence along the Catalan coast, which the police said was the work of a terrorist cell determined to “kill as many people as possible”.
Video footage from Cambrils, 120km from Barcelona, showed three bodies lying on the ground in the town’s port. The police urged local residents to stay indoors and later carried out controlled blasts on suspected explosive devices, amid reports the suspects had been wearing suicide vests.